President Muhammadu Buhari has scolded international voices on the ongoing #EndSARS protests in the country, urging them to ‘seek to know the facts before taking a position.’
In a nationwide address, the president said that the international community should desist from making hasty pronouncements.
The international community has condemned the killings of peaceful protesters by men of the Nigerian Army.
On Tuesday, soldiers were caught on camera at the Lekki Toll Gate shooting protesters who called for an end to police brutality in Nigeria.
He said: “To our neighbours in particular, and members of the international community, many of whom have expressed concern about the ongoing development in Nigeria, we thank you and urge you all to seek to know all the facts available before taking a position or rushing to judgment and making hasty pronouncements.”
Your voice has been heard
President Buhari assured the youths that the 5by5 demands had been met.
President @MBuhari: “I call on our youths to discontinue the street protests and constructively engage government in finding solutions. Your voice has been heard loud and clear and we are responding.” #PoliceReformNG
— Presidency Nigeria (@NGRPresident) October 22, 2020
He also urged them to discontinue the protests.
He said: “I, therefore, call on our youths to discontinue the street protests and constructively engage government in finding solutions.
“Your voice has been heard loud and clear, and we are responding.
“As a democratic government, we listened to, and carefully evaluated the five-point demands of the protesters.
“And, having accepted them, we immediately scrapped SARS and put measures in place to address the other demands of our youth.”
Buhari further appealed to the protesters to note and take advantage of his administration’s various well-thought-out initiatives.
He called on the youths to resist being used by some subversive elements to cause chaos with the aim of truncating Nigeria’s nascent democracy.
According to him, to do otherwise will amount to undermining national security and the law and order situation.
Buhari keeps mum on Lekki Massacre
The president, however, failed to address the #LekkiTollMassacre.
The killing of peaceful protesters has received both local and international condemnation.
While the Nigeria Army denied partaking in such, the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, confirmed otherwise.
The killings on Tuesday night further aggravated the protests, which has resulted in widespread killings and destruction of government properties.
Buhari Condemns Killings
President Buhari also condemned the loss of innocent lives.
He said, “I am indeed deeply pained that innocent lives have been lost.
“These tragedies are uncalled for and unnecessary. Certainly, there is no way whatsoever to connect these bad acts to legitimate expression of grievance of the youth of our country.”
He also acknowledged the right of people to peaceful protests as enshrined in Section 40 of the Constitution