Twitter users with 10,000 followers and above can now earn money by charging followers to see their tweets.
This is possible after Twitter has launched a feature it calls Super Follower.
Also, the feature allows users to charge their followers for access to their tweets.
The micro-blogging site said the feature will allow Twitter content creators to set their tweets to go to select followers.
Through this feature, creators can now earn money by generating revenue from their followers who would subscribe to such contents.
Meanwhile, Twitter is not the first social tech platform that has launched a direct payment tools for creators.
Other platforms like Facebook, GitHub and YouTube have, in various times, launched similar direct payment features for their users.
Those Eligible To Earn From Tweets:
Twitter said the feature is currently available on iOS app and to a test group of people in the US and Canada.
However, the company said it will make the feature available on iOS and to users in other countries in the coming weeks.
It also said it will soon roll out the features on Android and the web.
The select group are those who had applied for Twitter’s monetization feature.
Also, Twitter users can identify their Super Followers through a badge that appears under their names when they reply to tweets.
Extra Contents That Users Can Charge Followers For:
Twitter said creators can charge followers for extra contents which may include bonus tweets and access to a community group.
Also, Twitter users can charge their followers for subscription to a newsletter or a badge indicating support.
How Much Users Can Charge For Their Tweets:
The tweeting platform said users who meet a certain eligibility criteria can earn a monthly fee from their followers.
It said creators can charge their followers between $2.99, $4.99 or $9.99 per month for access to their exclusive tweets.
Similarly, Twitter said users under the Ticketed Spaces category can charge between $1 and $999 dollars from their followers.
It also introduced the Ticketed Spaces to allow users earn money from granting access to followers of social audio rooms.
Speaking on the features, Senior Manager with Twitter, Esther Crawford tweeted saying thus:
“we want to ensure that emerging voices are able to earn money, which is why they’ll be eligible to earn a larger share starting out. … Earning $50K+ from Super Follows and Ticketed Spaces shows that you’re getting value from these features and that they’re helping you make real .”
What Commission Twitter Takes From The Charges?
Twitter will take three percent from every in-app purchase users make.
This means that test group participants will initially keep 97 percent of the money they charge from their followers.
This is after Android and iOS takes their cuts for in-app purchases.
However, if a user makes a total of $50,000 either on Super Follower or Ticketed Spaces, Twitter will start taking 20 percent commission.
How to qualify for Super Follows
Not everyone will be able to set up Super Follows for accounts. It’s only open to users who:
- Have at least 10,000 followers. If you haven’t hit that milestone yet, you’re going to have to keep tweeting for free.
- Have tweeted at least 25 times within the last 30 days. If you aren’t creating regular content, step aside.
- Are based in the U.S.
- Are least 18 years old.
How To Apply For Supper Follower Access:
First, you need to meet the eligibility criteria. Then, if you meet the qualifications, applying will be easy.
- Open up the Twitter app.
- Swipe the screen to the right to pull up a menu.
- Toward the bottom of that menu, you will see “Monetization.”
- Tap on “Monetization.”
- Then, click on “Super Follows.”
- This will take you to a screen that explains how Super Follows works and how much you could earn by monetizing your Twitter account.
- After this, click on “Check eligibility” at the bottom of the screen.
- You will be taken to a screen that shows if you qualify.
- If you qualify, then click on the “Apply” button.
- Note that Twitter will ask you to verify if you are 18 or older.
- Twitter will also ask you to complete your profile and turn on two-factor authentication for your account.
- The micro-blogging site will require you to state what category of content you’ll be making.
- You can make contents like baking, comedy skits, gaming, cryptocurrency trainings, etc.
- Twitter will also ask you what other platforms you are on, example, Twitch, Facebook or Instagram.
- Also, Twitter will ask you how you plan on using the Super Follows feature.
- You will also fill out an “About you” section that describes who you are.
- Also, you will provide you gender and ethnicity.
- Finally, click “Submit application” and you are good to go.
Implication For You:
What this new release from Twitter means for you is that you can now earn comfortably by growing your followers.
Also, organisations with presence on Twitter and who have over 10,000 followers can generate more revenue.
This feature will cause many earlier free contents on the platforms to become monetized by creators.