The National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) has warned Nigerians to beware of a new email-based attack from Solarwinds hackers.
The agency gave the warning on its official Twitter handle.
— Bolaji (@bolsaid) May 30, 2021
According to NITDA, the cybercriminals leveraged the legitimate mass-mailing service to distribute malicious URLs.
Microsoft uncovered a widespread malicious email campaign undertaken by the hacking group – Nobelium.
The antics of the cybercriminals involve the use of emails claiming to be an alert from USAID about new documents published by Donald Trump about ‘election fraud.’
Once a user clicks the link in the email, the URL would direct them to the legitimate Constant Contact service and the redirect to Nobelium-controlled infrastructure through a URL that delivers a malicious ISO file.
This in turn enables the criminals to execute further malicious objectives, such as lateral movement, data exfiltration and delivery of additional malware.
“The cybercriminals leveraged the legitimate mass-mailing service to masquerade as a US-based development organisation and distribute malicious URLs to a wide variety of organisations, non-governmental organisations (NGOs), think tanks, military, IT service providers, health technology and research and telecommunications providers.”
How not to fall a victim
- Turn on cloud-delivered protection in Microsoft Defender Antivirus or the equivalent to cover rapidly evolving attacker tools and techniques.
- Run EDR in block mode to enable antivirus to block malicious artifacts (EDR in block mode works behind the scenes to remediate artifacts that are detected post-breach).
- Enable network protection to prevent applications or users from accessing malicious domains and other malicious content on the internet.
- Enable investigation and remediation in full automated mode to allow antivirus take immediate action on alerts to resolve breaches.
- Use device discovery to increase your visibility into your network by finding unmanaged devices on your network and onboarding them.
- Enable multifactor authentication(MFA) to mitigate compromised credentials.
- Block all Office applications from creating child processes.
Fintech/Cryptocurrency4 weeks ago
Bitcoin Price Falls Below $40K As Crypto Markets Lost $80 Billion
AI/IoT2 weeks ago
MTN, Airtel, Glo, Other Telecom Operators Plan 40% Hike On Calls, SMS Tariffs
Cyber Security2 weeks ago
Hackers Force 44% Of Nigerian Companies To Pay Ransom – Report
News2 days ago
Buffalo Shooter, Payton Gendron Kills 10 Blacks While Livestreaming On Twitch
Business2 weeks ago
Gucci Now Accepting Cryptocurrency Payments At Select US Stores
Business1 week ago
Infinix Hot12 and Free Fire: A Fast and Fun Experience Reloaded
Features23 hours ago
Here’s What You Don’t Know About ASUU Strike
Features1 week ago
You Can Now Conduct WhatsApp Poll